Our team identifies the mechanisms of action activated by a variety of environmental pollutants, alone or in combination, to understand their influence on the incidence of various pathologies (cancer, liver diseases, neurodegenerative diseases) in order to identify biomarkers. We use and develop cellular, animal and computational models over several main lines of research:
1) Contextual studies to study the sensitizing effects of persistent organic pollutants such as Seveso dioxin on the development of liver fibrosis or demyelination in the central nervous system. We use rodent models and more recently the nematode C. elegans.
2) We are also developing innovative cell models to study, for example, the influence of adipocytes on tumor metabolic phenotype or the effect of inflammatory cells on hepatocyte function.
3) We leverage our data produced in vivo and in vitro to develop computational models of system toxicology. We develop network biology and predictive toxicology models by integrating these data (into European or national projects) providing potential links between the exposure to environmental chemicals and adverse health outcomes.
Keywords: persistent organic pollutants; AhR; metabolic disruption; cancer; chronic liver diseases; computational models
TEAM & GROUP LEADER
SYSTOX (System Toxicology)
MAGE (Multifactorial diseAse and Genomic Epidemiology)
- Novel roles for AhR and ARNT in the regulation of alcohol dehydrogenases in human hepatic cells.
Attignon EA, Leblanc AF, Le-Grand B, Duval C, Aggerbeck M, Rouach H, Blanc EB : Arch Toxicol, 2016
- Regulation of Aquaporin 3 expression by the AhR pathway is critical to cell migration.
Linh-Chi B, Céline T, Stephane P, Aline C, Robert B, Xavier C : Toxicol Sci, 2015
- Associations of plasma concentrations of dichlorodiphenyldichloroethylene and polychlorinated biphenyls with prostate cancer: a case-control study in Guadeloupe (French West Indies).
Emeville E, Giusti A, Coumoul X, Thomé JP, Blanchet P, Multigner L : Environ Health Perspect, 2014
- Activation of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor by carcinogenic aromatic amines and modulatory effects of their N-acetylated metabolites.
Juricek L, Bui LC, Busi F, Pierre S, Guyot E, Lamouri A, Dupret JM, Barouki R, Coumoul X, Rodrigues-Lima F : Arch Toxicol, 2014
- Aryl hydrocarbon receptor-dependent induction of liver fibrosis by dioxin.
Pierre S, Chevallier A, Teixeira-Clerc F, Ambolet-Camoit A, Bui LC, Bats AS, Fournet JC, Fernandez-Salguero P, Aggerbeck M, Lotersztajn S, Barouki R, Coumoul X : Toxicol Sci, 2013
- Oculomotor deficits in aryl hydrocarbon receptor null mouse.
Chevallier A, Mialot A, Petit JM, Fernandez-Salguero P, Barouki R, Coumoul X, Beraneck M : PLoS One, 201
- Early-life prevention of non-communicable diseases
Balbus JM, Barouki R, Birnbaum LS, Etzel RA, Gluckman PD, Grandjean P, Hancock C, Hanson MA, Heindel JJ, Hoffman K, Jensen G, Keeling A, Neira M, Rabadan-Diehl C, Ralston J, Tang KC : Lancet, 2013
- The aryl hydrocarbon receptor regulates focal adhesion sites through a non-genomic FAK/Src pathway.
Tomkiewicz C, Herry L, Bui LC, Métayer C, Bourdeloux M, Barouki R, Coumoul X : Oncogene, 2012
- Inflammatory pathway genes belong to major targets of persistent organic pollutants in adipose cells.
Kim MJ, Pelloux V, Guyot E, Tordjman J, Bui LC, Chevallier A, Forest C, Benelli C, Clément K, Barouki R : Environ Health Perspect, 2012
- Identification of a new stilbene-derived inducer of paraoxonase 1 and ligand of the Aryl hydrocarbon Receptor.
- Guyot E, Coumoul X, Chassé JF, Khallouki F, Savouret JF, Poirot M, Barouki R : Biochem Pharmacol, 2012
- Fate and complex pathogenic effects of dioxins and polychlorinated biphenyls in obese subjects before and after drastic weight loss.
Kim MJ, Marchand P, Henegar C, Antignac JP, Alili R, Poitou C, Bouillot JL, Basdevant A, Le Bizec B, Barouki R, Clément K : Environ Health Perspect, 2011
- Induction of the Ras activator Son of Sevenless 1 by environmental pollutants mediates their effects on cellular proliferation.
Pierre S, Bats AS, Chevallier A, Bui LC, Ambolet-Camoit A, Garlatti M, Aggerbeck M, Barouki R, Coumoul X : Biochem Pharmacol, 2010